I never knew how threatening food allergies were until I took time to research on them. What I’ve learned? Peanut allergy is the worst. Why? coz it can lead to an anaphylactic shock when a person is exposed to peanuts. This is difficulty of breathing which can be life threatening … if the person gets a really bad reaction. There are some people who react by merely smelling peanut, peanut butter, peanut powder, etc.
Normally, benadryl is given to patients who get exposed to food allergens and it normally works. Although there are times that benadryl just isn’t enough. There was a recent incident abroad wherein a high school girl died during a camping trip coz she was accidentally exposed to peanuts. She knew she accidentally held food that contained peanuts so she washed her hands and drank benadryl immediately. Although it din’t turn out so well. She also had her epipen but the reaction was so bad that it din’t work either.
So for those who have kids with peanut allergy or any food allergy, it would be good to always have benadryl at all times. An epipen would also be great to have to be on the safe side. This is administered when benadryl doesn’t do the trick and the patient seems to have difficulty breathing. Do more research on allergies. Better safe than sorry.
If you’re not sure if your kids have allergy, you can go to an allergologist for a skin test and for more information. I know a good one at The Medical City in Pasig. Dra. Michelle De Vera 0922.468.4154 her clinic is at rm. 1119.